At which point in a web centric project using postgres over mysql (or vice-versa) begin to make a noticiable difference?

Joined
Sep 12, 2024
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I understand that each one has characteristics more desirable for specific problems; I'm in no way trying to ask which is better, that is, not trying to look for an opinion on which is best, but an analysis on when in the lifespan of a project is it worth worrying about choosing your RDBMs.

My question mainly comes from the several small-scale software projects I've worked on through the years - generally a couple gigabytes of data with a few hundred thousand hits monthly.

Apart from some specific features I've used on Postgres (foreign data wrappers and my beloved in DB schemas) most of the time, using them felt interchangeable.

A good friend asked me why I use Postgres on some projects, and the best answer I could muster was: I had a bad run with a project (mis)using MyIsam 10 years ago and like my schemas.

I've read a bit around the subject, and while there are several intricacies for each DB that may make or break some larger, more specific project, for the run-of-the-mill user-centric Webapp or API, it feels worrying about this would be premature optimization.

At which types of loads the differences between MySQL and PostgreSQL become noticeable? and how would one test for it?