Hello all! Noob here with completely unrealistic ambitions. Happy to join the crew and get good enough to help others.

Reaction score
I am here to learn and be of any help that I can. I finally got old enough to get fed up with the "make free to use software until the smaller companies start to fall and then we buy them and have a monopoly and charge whatever we want and lobby for cronyism regulations to keep the little guys from competing" mindset enough to where I have gotten into coding. Of course I am far from good enough to do any real code yet. I have tinkered around with my old ti-84 calculator and learned how to code basic things through attrition. I have minimal experience in anything but passionate and stubborn enough to not give up.

I feel it is my duty to mankind to somehow provide a way for us to communicate, share ideas, and get the most out of the technology available to us to defend our rights to privacy and free speech in all that we do. I would love to get any help, advice, or criticism from you guys on my journey to learn as much as possible to help create and run websites and host whatever things I possibly can to ensure that whatever people would like to do with their computers remains possible for them without having to give up their privacy or be abused in any other way for nefarious purposes by ensuring that all functionality possible with computers remains open for mankind to use or learn how to do on their own.

For years I have been avoiding actually getting into programming after trying and learning how black-box and convoluted all of the languages I could find actually were with things like libraries and all of that. Of course, I understand the value in not having every program being gigabytes, and having to type for 8 months for each thing that could have just been pulled from a library. I have now gotten over myself and decided to just learn anyways at least as much as I need to to be proficient. I don't want to just rely on other people's knowledge and work to accomplish things for my own benefit. I hope to at least make a dent in the insanity that has been going on around the internet and all of the non-publicized regulations constantly being made behind closed doors that stop people from being able to do basically anything on the internet without relying on some third party.

I know I sound crazy and you are all shaking your heads right now, but it's okay. I am crazy. I am reminded every single time I try to use any available LLM's to point me in the direction I want to go without them complaining about how impossible and unrealistic my aspirations are. Ironically, we are already at the point where they have been trained so specifically to just protect the interests of the companies that are offering them up for use. That is completely understandable, you do you, boo. However, I have actually started to make some progress in the direction I want to help lead others. I have completed my first working pre-alpha prototype of a web browser that I don't even know how to add in ways to spy on you yet, so that's a total win. Of course, its probably the worst bit of code ever written, but it does work, at least. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and my next mission is going to be figuring out how to host a website and registering urls without the use of a middleman. I am especially motivated to do this as soon as possible with how absolutely sabotaged the answers I get from any LLM i have asked. They literally give me the longest responses they ever have writing books about how it is ridiculous, or dangerous, or makes me a bad person. It is actually pretty funny. But they even point you intentionally in the wrong directions. Wonder why.... anyways I never was a fan of AI that wasn't homemade because most people are only motivated by creating a system where you are completely dependent on you using them instead of just showing you how easy it actually is to do all of this yourself.

Reaction score
I think you have an invalid understanding of computer programming. You seem to think it is grueling. Sure, some languages can be syntactically treacherous, but the basic idea of programming is pretty straightforward, and is highly based on mathematics. Because you expressed an interest in web development, the first language I would recommend is Javascript. Javascript is very rooted in Mathematics (in fact, there is even a built-in API called Maths). You can perform many things with it, such as selecting a random value, and even conducting algebraic things. For instance, a nested conditional statement (if, then, if, then...), is essentially a piecewise function. Hope this was helpful!

Reaction score
I think you have an invalid understanding of computer programming. You seem to think it is grueling. Sure, some languages can be syntactically treacherous, but the basic idea of programming is pretty straightforward, and is highly based on mathematics. Because you expressed an interest in web development, the first language I would recommend is Javascript. Javascript is very rooted in Mathematics (in fact, there is even a built-in API called Maths). You can perform many things with it, such as selecting a random value, and even conducting algebraic things. For instance, a nested conditional statement (if, then, if, then...), is essentially a piecewise function. Hope this was helpful!
I have had some success getting my websites ive built up and running locally. It is really actually a lot of fun for me and I appreciate your reply. I see now I came across not really the way I was hoping in that post but you are absolutely correct. I was mainly apprehensive to get into programming because I learned using basic and assembly and had such a wonderful time learning those when it came to libraries and having to learn programming a different way it just felt like it made me lose the magic when I had to put my code through compilers and using libraries of others' works. Besides all of that your comment was helpful and thank you for taking the time. At the moment I am on a mission to learn more about hosting my sites to the open internet without the use of a middleman (hosting service) and how learning as much as I can for security and privacy.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hosting your own web site would be almost the same as running a bulletin board system in the 1990s.

The good old days, before browsers.

Here's a half baked idea...

It would be fairly easy to do it again. Instead of a phone line and a modem, use email.

Reaction score
I am here to learn and be of any help that I can. I finally got old enough to get fed up with the "make free to use software until the smaller companies start to fall and then we buy them and have a monopoly and charge whatever we want and lobby for cronyism regulations to keep the little guys from competing" mindset enough to where I have gotten into coding. Of course I am far from good enough to do any real code yet. I have tinkered around with my old ti-84 calculator and learned how to code basic things through attrition. I have minimal experience in anything but passionate and stubborn enough to not give up.

I feel it is my duty to mankind to somehow provide a way for us to communicate, share ideas, and get the most out of the technology available to us to defend our rights to privacy and free speech in all that we do. I would love to get any help, advice, or criticism from you guys on my journey to learn as much as possible to help create and run websites and host whatever things I possibly can to ensure that whatever people would like to do with their computers remains possible for them without having to give up their privacy or be abused in any other way for nefarious purposes by ensuring that all functionality possible with computers remains open for mankind to use or learn how to do on their own.

For years I have been avoiding actually getting into programming after trying and learning how black-box and convoluted all of the languages I could find actually were with things like libraries and all of that. Of course, I understand the value in not having every program being gigabytes, and having to type for 8 months for each thing that could have just been pulled from a library. I have now gotten over myself and decided to just learn anyways at least as much as I need to to be proficient. I don't want to just rely on other people's knowledge and work to accomplish things for my own benefit. I hope to at least make a dent in the insanity that has been going on around the internet and all of the non-publicized regulations constantly being made behind closed doors that stop people from being able to do basically anything on the internet without relying on some third party.

I know I sound crazy and you are all shaking your heads right now, but it's okay. I am crazy. I am reminded every single time I try to use any available LLM's to point me in the direction I want to go without them complaining about how impossible and unrealistic my aspirations are. Ironically, we are already at the point where they have been trained so specifically to just protect the interests of the companies that are offering them up for use. That is completely understandable, you do you, boo. However, I have actually started to make some progress in the direction I want to help lead others. I have completed my first working pre-alpha prototype of a web browser that I don't even know how to add in ways to spy on you yet, so that's a total win. Of course, its probably the worst bit of code ever written, but it does work, at least. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and my next mission is going to be figuring out how to host a website and registering urls without the use of a middleman. I am especially motivated to do this as soon as possible with how absolutely sabotaged the answers I get from any LLM i have asked. They literally give me the longest responses they ever have writing books about how it is ridiculous, or dangerous, or makes me a bad person. It is actually pretty funny. But they even point you intentionally in the wrong directions. Wonder why.... anyways I never was a fan of AI that wasn't homemade because most people are only motivated by creating a system where you are completely dependent on you using them instead of just showing you how easy it actually is to do all of this yourself.
🙂👍Sir, this is (imo) a magnificent intro.

Ask a Question