IIS Hell

Guest

ok folks, I'm standing on the ledge here.
I'm running XP pro (service pack 1) in a corporate setting with a domain
logon that has local admin rights to the machine I'm using

my machine was rebuilt yesterday with a plain XP pro Os and all the hotfixes
from MS up to service pack 1

I (an MCSD, not an MCSE) then I installed IIS 5.1, VS.net 2003 and all that
stuff and the mystery of it all is that even though I am part of the local
admins group, vs debuggers and vs developers...

I can't even do this:
I can't after creating a virtual directory on my C:\ drive and placing an
html file...access it from a local browser with
localhost/virtual_dir_name/htmlfilename.htm

what could be going on?, I've enabled all the permissions on the virtual
directory, and I've enabled anonynmous access. Nothing works!
I get an internal server error 500.

all this before I've even started to try to create a project/solution via
visual studio. I don't want to go down that road until I can see local html
pages dished out to me via my copy of IIS....

I will mention at last that internet explorer is working via a corporate
proxy server and my machine doesn't have any restrictive group policies etc
that I know of, and that I can ping localhost and I can ping the loopback
address with no problems and that the IIS service is running

any ideas what settings I should apply in order to get IIS let me see a test
page via a web browser

regards and thanks in advance
CharlesA

Guest

further to my previous post, when I took off the 'show friendly errors' I got
this much more specific error

Server Error
The following error occurred:
Code:
 Cannot connect due to potential loopback
problems

Please contact the administrator.

clearly this is a bit more helpful any ideas where I can start?

Regards and thanks in advance
CharlesA

Guest

Ignore this post folks, problem sorted
A colleague figured out that we could use the hostname (i.e machine name)
instead of the word 'localhost' and that this worked fine, my guess is that
there's some kind of corporate policy against using the generic localhost.

thanks again
regards
CharlesA

Edwin Knoppert

Antivirus/firewall?

Look in MSIE, below, the symbol on local host gives local... 127.0.0.1 might
give the internet symbol.
This might be a difference for your firewall and such.