One of the comments on the Python video made me laugh out loud

Joined
Jul 4, 2023
Messages
455
Reaction score
54
Like in title ...
One of the comments on the Python video made me laugh out loud. ๐Ÿ˜

CLEVER Python One Liner!!

1722432253027.png
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜œ

Here is code from movie
Python:
user_input = input('Name: ')

if user_input:
    name = user_input
else:
    name = 'N/A'

print(name)

another version of the code shown above, proposed by the author of the video
Python:
user_input = input('Name: ')

name = user_input or 'N/A'

print(name)

other proposed code version
Python:
name = input('Name: ') or 'N/A'
print(name)

user_input = input('Name: ')
name = user_input if user_input else 'N/A'
print(name)

print(input('Name: ') or 'N/A')

# remove white space
name = input('Name: ').strip() or 'N/A'
print(name)

print(name:=input('Name: ') or 'N/A')
# and now you can use the "name" variable too

# My code suggestion
import re

# remove white space and the name must be longer than 2 characters
name = re.sub(r'^.{1,2}$', '', input('Name: ').strip()).strip() or 'N/A'
print(name)

Last edited:
Joined
Sep 21, 2022
Messages
149
Reaction score
21
Personally, I wouldn't code like that. IMO it breaks one of the "structured programming" rules, cohesion.

By cohesion, I'm refering to the idea that a subroutine must do ONE thing, a variable must have ONE meaning.

When a single line of code does many things, it is not cohesive. Program maintenance will be hard.

For anyone who has not heard about structured programming, they're guidelines that allow programmers to make VERY large programs.

Last edited: