Sending data between 2 specific devices

Joined
Jul 4, 2023
Messages
468
Reaction score
58
To retrieve data from a rangefinder into a Python program, you first need to understand how the rangefinder communicates with the computer. Rangefinders typically transmit data through interfaces like USB, UART (RS232), I2C, SPI, or Bluetooth. Once you determine the type of connection, you can write Python code to receive the data.
  1. Check the type of connection between the rangefinder and the computer:
    • USB: Usually communicates through a virtual serial port (COM port).
    • UART (RS232): Serial communication.
    • I2C/SPI: Typically requires special libraries, such as smbus for I2C.
    • Bluetooth: Communicates through a virtual serial port or a dedicated Bluetooth protocol.
  2. Install necessary Python libraries: Depending on the type of connection, you may need additional libraries:
    • pyserial: for serial communication (USB, UART).
    • smbus2 or RPi.GPIO: for I2C communication on Raspberry Pi.
    • pybluez: for Bluetooth communication.