Subclassing zipfile (new style class)

Larry Bates

I'm trying to learn about subclassing new style classes and the first project I
went to do needs to subclass zipfile to add some methods.

Why does this:

import zipfile
class walkZip(zipfile):
pass

if __name__ == "__main__":
print "Hello World"

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 192, in run_nodebug
File "<module1>", line 2, in <module>
TypeError: Error when calling the metaclass bases
module.__init__() takes at most 2 arguments (3 given)
Thanks in advance.

-Larry

Farshid Lashkari

Larry said:
import zipfile
class walkZip(zipfile):
pass

if __name__ == "__main__":
print "Hello World"

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 192, in run_nodebug
File "<module1>", line 2, in <module>
TypeError: Error when calling the metaclass bases
module.__init__() takes at most 2 arguments (3 given)

In your code 'zipfile' is a module, not a class, so you cannot inherit
from it. I believe this is what you are trying to accomplish:

class walkZip(zipfile.ZipFile):
pass

-Farshid

Tom Brown

I'm trying to learn about subclassing new style classes and the first
project I went to do needs to subclass zipfile to add some methods.

Why does this:

import zipfile
class walkZip(zipfile):
pass

if __name__ == "__main__":
print "Hello World"

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 192, in run_nodebug
File "<module1>", line 2, in <module>
TypeError: Error when calling the metaclass bases
module.__init__() takes at most 2 arguments (3 given)

I think because you need to do this:

from zipfile import ZipFile
class walkZip(ZipFile):
pass

-Tom

Matimus

import zipfile
class walkZip(zipfile):
pass

if __name__ == "__main__":
print "Hello World"

`zipfile' is the name of the module, not a class. What you probably
want is this:

Code:
import zipfile
class WalkZip(zipfile.ZipFile):