Want to host websites that I will probably be the only user from home. Sacrilege, I know, but it has always been a dream of mine. Where do I start?

Joined
Aug 13, 2024
Messages
9
Reaction score
5
Even using my best manipulation tactics in the prompts, LLM's seem to all agree that trying to host a website without using a third party would be evil, stupid, dangerous, and make me a bad person. However, I don't care. I want to do it even if it just amounts to a blog where I just talk to myself. Getting a website up and running from my house that I can access from the open internet is a dream of mine that I am too stubborn to be talked out of. If not for nothing else, just for the experience and knowledge to be able to know how far I want to go.

I have very little skills or knowledge with most languages but i have used quite a bit of java, html, c, and python. I am able to actually create websites, terrible websites, but websites that do work at least through using node.js and accessing it from localhost. That really helped me get brave and stupid enough to take it to the next level for real, but literally anything I am allowed to search for and find on the internet nowadays does nothing to help, they just try to discourage me or tell me how it isn't even possible. I know if a middleman can host a website for you, you can do it yourself. I just want to know what it actually is that I need to do to register a url to icann or whatever it is to get that to point to my ip. I know it is actually a little dangerous to do this, but not why or how to defend against whatever the threats are. Any warnings or suggestions along the way with regards to security and privacy would greatly be appreciated because I would like to learn that along with the hosting part so I do have a moderate amount of protection as I dive into the hosting world.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Any advice you feel like giving me will be taken to heart and greatly appreciated. I didn't think I would be pretty much the only person ever who is stubborn enough to try to do this, and I don't think that now. If anybody else out there has ever wanted to do this please chime in, I would love to hear your stories, too.

Joined
Aug 22, 2023
Messages
52
Reaction score
12
You can easily host a website via the github server. You simply have to create an account, and finish a repository with '.github.io'.