Dropdown menu in a fixed navbar

Joined
Apr 1, 2024
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I'm trying to add a dropdown menu inside a navigation bar. I'm using the code provided by https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_dropdowns.asp, but when I try to fix the bar at the top of the page, the dropdown menu doesn't show anymore.
This is the code with a working dropdown menu:
HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
body {margin:0;}

ul {
list-style-type: none;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
overflow: hidden;
background-color: #333;
}

li {
float: left;
}

li a, .dropbtn {
display: inline-block;
color: white;
text-align: center;
padding: 14px 16px;
text-decoration: none;
}

li a:hover, .dropdown:hover .dropbtn {
background-color: red;
}

li.dropdown {
display: inline-block;
}

.dropdown-content {
display: none;
position: absolute;
background-color: #f9f9f9;
min-width: 160px;
box-shadow: 0px 8px 16px 0px rgba(0,0,0,0.2);
z-index: 1;
}

.dropdown-content a {
color: black;
padding: 12px 16px;
text-decoration: none;
display: block;
text-align: left;
}

.dropdown-content a:hover {background-color: #f1f1f1;}

.dropdown:hover .dropdown-content {
display: block;
}
</head>
<ul>
<li class="dropdown">
</li>
</ul>

<h3>Dropdown Menu inside a Navigation Bar</h3>

But if I add
CSS:
ul {
list-style-type: none;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
overflow: hidden;
background-color: #333;
position: fixed;
width: 100%;
top: 0;
}

...the dropdown menu disappears. What should I do? Thanks.

Joined
Jul 4, 2023
Messages
368